This year my sister Kate from Clear the Way and I created the 12 Lists series which is a monthly series for those who love writing lists. Each month we announce the topic, write our lists accordingly, and invite you to do the same on your blog. You are welcome to add your post to the link-up below so we can get to know you a little better, one list at a time. This month’s topic: favorite ways to take care of yourself.
This month’s prompt is perfect for my life right now because I’m trying to make self-care a priority again in my life. I’ve been rediscovering my favorite ways to pamper myself, which I’ll include in my list, but also discerning which things contribute to my overall health and well-being. Those have been harder to implement but I’ve been on a pretty good streak lately and I’ve got to say that taking care of myself again feels amazing.
- Exercise – I’ve recently been getting back into a regular running routine and finding it easier than ever before because I’ve been walking much more during the week. Every time I finish a run I just feel awesome and giddy. I don’t always feel like doing it but as soon as I get going I’m so glad I did.
- Waking up on time – I can be a fan of the snooze button, but lately I’ve been waking up with enough time to get ready in the morning and wear make-up if I want to, or just relax and have some alone time before I start my day. It helps me feel more centered and taken care of throughout the rest of the day if I carve out that time and space for myself each morning.
- Coconut oil – My skin is very dry, especially as the weather gets colder so I use coconut oil as a body lotion to keep my skin from resembling a lizard’s. I don’t do this every day, but when I do it always makes me feel relaxed and pampered. Smelling like a raw coconut is a plus too.
- LUSH products – I just discovered the toner tabs from LUSH cosmetics and I’m going to use one every week from now on. It’s like a DIY steam facial and leaves my skin feeling and looking so clear and nice. I follow it up with one of their face masks and moisturize with argan oil and then I have to work really hard at not touching my face because my skin feels that good!
- Painting my nails – More like a beauty routine than self-care but painting my nails each week makes me feel much more put together. It just feels good to take the time to do the things I enjoy even if they’re frivolous.
- Being open and honest with myself – The emotional self-care I’ve been doing lately is to pay attention to my feelings and be very honest about them. I am a caring person and I often give too much at the expense of my own needs and I’ve been working on striking a better balance. The first step for me is to be really open with myself about what my emotional needs are. I will put negative feelings on the back-burner to get things done and ignore my feelings when they aren’t convenient, and these tactics only get me so far. I’ve been slowly working backward in processing the last year or two of my life and letting myself feel however I feel about it. It’s tough for me and I’m progressing slowly, but I’m finding that paying attention to my true feelings is the best self-care I could practice.
Do you have a favorite way to pamper yourself?